Omega-3s and Our Amazing Brains
The brain and central nervous system are perhaps the most remarkable physiological system in the human body.
Described by National Geographic Magazine as “a three-pound mass of wrinkly material in your head that controls every single thing you will ever do,” the brain must be cared for and supported with balanced nutrition, plenty of sleep, stimulating inputs and exercise.
The brain is mostly made out of fats, the most prominent of which is Omega-3 DHA.
Brain Development Over a Lifespan
- Our brains triple in size in the first year of our lives.
- Our spinal cords stop growing after an average of 4 years.
- Our brains are influenced by computers and video games, and these inputs may actually help improve cognitive abilities.
- Our brains are at 90% of their adult size by age 6.
Our brains begin actual adulting at around age 30. By age 35, our working memories, which can be understood to be our ability to hold on to a small detail like a phone number, password, or the location of a parked car, begin to decline.
- Our brains begin to shrink at age 40, and this continues throughout our lifespans.
- Human verbal abilities, spatial reasoning, math and abstract thinking skills are at their peak at the age of 50.
"Sixty percent (60%) of the human brain is made of fat, and 30% of that is DHA."
DHA is a structural fat, the most prominent fat in the brain. There’s plenty to do to maintain your brain’s health over a lifespan: getting good sleep, maintaining balanced nutrition, drinking plenty of water, and moving every day is a great start.
Because most Americans do not have an Omega-3 sufficient diet, choosing to supplement in every stage of life, it is important to ensure Omega-3 sufficiency.
Most OceanBlue Professional products contain 2100 mg of Omega-3s - giving your brain 1,350 mg of EPA and 950 mg of DHA.